SHEBOYGAN — With Bookworm Gardens' reopening for the summer, one of Sheboygan County's most unique, family-friendly experiences is back!
Here's everything you need to know before heading to the children's literature themed botanical gardens for the 2021 season—and yes, it's for adults too!
Bookworm Gardens reopened on May 1 and its season lasts through Oct. 31. Currently, pre-registration is required to visit the gardens, which can be done at bookwormgardens.org.
IF YOU GO
Address: 1415 Campus Drive, Sheboygan
May, September and October hours:
- Wednesday through Friday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
June, July and August hours:
- Tuesday through Sunday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Virtual Daffodil Dash — May 1-31
- Participate in this 5K run or one-mile walk at your leisure all month on the course or sidewalk of your choice. Registration includes a Bookworm Gardens water bottle and can be done online. The cost is $25 for adult members or $30 for adult non-members and $15 for youth members or $20 for youth non-members. Register at bookwormgardens.org.
Pollinator Week — June 22-27
- Celebrate the pollinators that keep the gardens growing by learning about bees and butterflies at educational stations, through BINGO finds and art experiences. Registration is required at bookwormgardens.org. The cost is free for members and children under age 2, $7 for Sheboygan County residents and $10 for all others.
Good Night Moon Picnic — 5-8 p.m., July 24
- This family-style evening picnic is centered around the children's classic "Good Night Moon" by Margaret Wise Brown. Registration includes a picnic box filled with charcuterie inspired by the story and after-hours access to the gardens. Wine and beer will be available for purchase for those 21+. Pre-registration is required at bookwormgardens.org and is $14 for adult members or $18 for adult non-members and $10 for youth members or $14 for youth non-members.
Fairyfolk Festival — July 27 - Aug. 1
- Come dressed in your favorite fire, wizard, dragon or gnome attire to engage in stories, arts and crafts and more from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Stay tuned for more information on the Fairy Garden contest! Pre-registration is required at bookwormgardens.org. Admission is free for bookworm members and those under age 2, $7 for Sheboygan County residents and $10 for all others.
Water Week — Aug. 17-22
- The newest family festival to Bookworm Gardens explores water in all of its forms through engaging in interactive water play, go on a scavenger and explore water creatures with Riveredge Nature Center. Pre-registration is required at bookwormgardens.org. Admission is free for bookworm members and those under age 2, $7 for Sheboygan County residents and $10 for all others.
Happily Haunted Gardens — Oct. 14-17, 21-24, 28-31
- The Gardens transform with thousands of twinkling lights to create the perfect family-friendly Halloween scene as families are encouraged to dress up and enjoy the scenery. Pre-registration and event details will be released at bookwormgardens.org as the event approaches.
Adults-only experiences (21+)
Twilight Picnic Series — 5:30-8:30 p.m. June 18, July 16, July 30, Aug. 13
- Still through the Gardens in the evening and bring a picnic blanket to spread out in the Magic Treehouse. Enjoy an artisanal cocktail and single-serve picnic box filled with charcuterie inspired by the season while exploring the Gardens after hours. Win, beer and seasonal cocktails will be available for purchase. Pre-registration is required at bookwormgardens.org. The cost is $26 for members and $30 for non-members.
The Secret Garden Dinner Series set for June 16, July 7, July 21, Aug. 4 and Aug. 25 is currently sold out. To join a waiting list, visit bookwormgardens.org