PLYMOUTH – Lakeland University held a Re-Dedication Ceremony and Open House for two new residence halls on its main campus Thursday afternoon. The halls are part of the largest single investment in the school’s 160-year history.
The twin four-story buildings will house 400 students, and are replacing the previous Grossheusch and Muehlmeier Halls, which held 291 students before being torn down in 2021.
The new halls, which will retain the names Grossheusch and Muehlmeier, are equipped with an impressive array of amenities, including spacious lounge areas and study rooms for each floor, kitchenettes and vending areas.
For added convenience, the buildings also have two free laundry rooms per floor, and extra storage space in the basement for residents to store items.
The halls are also environmentally-friendly, with recycling centers and bottle-filling stations installed in each building.
The residence halls were financed by a $35.4 million fixed-rate, low-interest loan from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Development Division in 2020. Lakeland was the only college or university to receive a USDA loan that year.
The unveiling of the halls continues a banner year for the university, which acquired Jake’s Café early in 2022 to expand its Cooperative Education Program and increase its presence in downtown Sheboygan. The rebranded Jake’s, A Lakeland Community held its official grand opening in June.
Speakers at the ceremony included Lakeland President Beth Borgen, Board of Trustees Chair Jeff Spence, Trustee Lola Roeh, student representative Jacob Sagal, and David Gross, grandson of former Lakeland President Paul Grossheusch (1931-49), for whom one of the halls was named. The other hall is named after Herman Muehlmeier, Lakeland President from 1885-1907.