SHEBOYGAN COUNTY — New Year's Eve is a time to celebrate, which for many can include fireworks. Here's a reminder of what you'll need to know before letting any off.

According to state law, "no person may possess or use fireworks without a user's permit from the mayor of the city, president of the village or chairperson of the town" in which they will be used.

Legally, fireworks are defined as anything manufactured or packaged for "exploding, emitting sparks or combustion which does not have another common use." This includes popular items like bottle rockets, Roman candles and firecrackers.

The following are not identified as fireworks and are, thus, permitted:

  • Toy snakes containing no mercury
  • Sparklers not exceeding 36 inches in length
  • Smoke bombs containing less than one-quarter grain of explosive mixture
  • Novelty devices that spin or move on the ground

Gunfire is also a common form of celebration on New Year's Eve, but again, can cause serious damage.

Like fireworks, it is illegal for a person to possess or carry a firearm without the proper permits.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Thank you for taking part in our commenting section. We want this platform to be a safe and inclusive community where you can freely share ideas and opinions. Comments that are racist, hateful, sexist or attack others won’t be allowed. Just keep it clean. Do these things or you could be banned:

• Don’t name-call and attack other commenters. If you’d be in hot water for saying it in public, then don’t say it here.

• Don’t spam us.

• Don’t attack our journalists.

Let’s make this a platform that is educational, enjoyable and insightful.

Email questions to

Share your opinion


Join the conversation

Recommended for you