SHEBOYGAN COUNTY — November 13 is celebrated as World Kindness Day, and in 2020, I think we could all use a little bit of extra kindness.
Whether you are looking to do as something as small as donate food or as large as dressing up in a full Santa to deliver goodie bags, here are several opportunities for you to volunteer in Sheboygan County right now.
Habitat for Humanity Lakeside
Construction site volunteer opportunities
- Positions available: Individual/group builders, crew leader, lot maintenance, photographer, site support
- Construction day runs from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. most Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays
- Tools and water will be provided
- No construction experience necessary, but no one under the age of 14 is permitted during active construction
ReStore retail location
- Positions available: Cashier, customer service assistant, donation pick-up assistant, metal recycling tech, sales floor assistant
- ReStore is open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesdays through Fridays and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays. Projects are available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays when the store is closed.
- Flexible schedules available in two-hour shifts or more
- Must be over age 14
- Committee membership (include programming, special events, finance and budget and resource development)
- Office help
To get involved, contact Volunteer and Community Engagement Manager Lee Ann Raleigh via email at email@example.com, by calling 920-458-3399 ext. 301 or by filling out the inquiry at habitatlakeside.com.
Sheboygan County Food Bank
Making Spirits Bright Drivers 2020
- One volunteer and one driver will take the food bank truck to the Making Spirits Bright event to collect donations
- Shifts are from 4:15 to 10 p.m. on a night of your choice
- Drivers must provide valid driver's license and date of birth
- Sign up at signupgenius.com or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Emergency Food Boxes
- Help pack emergency food boxes or donate items that will go into the boxes
- Donations boxes will be set up from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday outside the food bank
- Sign up to help pack by calling 920-453-0169
Not sure where to help? Fill out the food bank's volunteer application form at sheboygancountyfoodbank.com.
United Way of Sheboygan County
Virtual Disaster Action Team Member or Caseworker - American Red Cross
- The #1 disaster Red Cross responds to is a house fire. These volunteers will train to virtually respond to local communities immediately after disasters to provide assistance
- Must be able to respond at a variety of hours and have personal computer and phone
- Must be ages 18 and older and comfortable working in stressful situations
- Virtual on-call shifts available: 6 a.m. to noon, noon to 3 p.m., 3 to 6 p.m., 6 to 10 p.m. and 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Sign up at volunteersheboygan.galaxydigital.com.
Front Entrance Ambassadors - Aurora Health Care
- Help patients/visitors find their way to appointments throughout the hospital
- Seeking ambassadors at the Sheboygan and Plymouth locations
- Must be ages 18 and older
- Complete online application at https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?ap=540687935
Companion - The Gathering Place
- Lend a listening ear, a smiling face and a conversation to patients and families going through mid-stage memory loss
- Open on Thursdays, in-person for full or half days
- Must be ages 17 and older
- Call 920-627-6847 or email email@example.com
Santa and Elves - Fresh Meals on Wheels of Sheboygan County
- Help deliver this year's St. Nick gift bag to all meal recipients
- Costumes and people to fill them are needed for Dec. 15 and 17 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Email volunteers@freshmealsonwheelsorg.
For the full listing of United Way volunteer opportunities, visit volunteersheboygan.galaxydigital.com.