The Fox River Classic Conference (FRCC) will move all fall high school sports including football, boys soccer, cross country, girls golf, girls tennis, girls swim and dive, and girls volleyball to the spring following a vote by superintendents and administrators of member schools.
In light of this decision, Sheboygan Area School District middle school interscholastic sports, including boys and girls cross country and girls volleyball, will also be moved from fall to spring.FRCC member schools include: Ashwaubenon, Bay Port, De Pere, Green Bay Preble and Southwest, Notre Dame de la Baie Academy, Manitowoc Lincoln High School, Pulaski and Sheboygan North and South. Green Bay Area Public Schools announced last week it would move fall sports at all of its district high schools, including Preble and Southwest, to a spring schedule. Leaders from Notre Dame de la Baie Academy voted to keep the current fall sports schedule.
The WIAA has prepared a draft spring sports schedule that incorporates fall sports for use by schools in Wisconsin who choose to move to this model. Additional details on the FRCC plan will be released as they are developed.
The FRCC’s decision was based on:
- Concern for the health and safety of student athletes, coaches, trainers and others affiliated with the teams
- A strong desire by schools who are opening the academic year with in-person or blended schedules to remain open by reducing the risk of spreading the COVID-19 virus
- Guidance from public health officials who recommend social distancing and limiting travel when possible
- Mitigating the risk of COVID-19 spread posed by team transportation, disinfecting sports equipment, uniforms and other items often shared by players
- The growing number of college athletic conferences, and high school sports governing bodies in Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota and other states who have opted to move to a spring schedule.